A middleweight utility ATV with heavyweight ability – that’s the brand new Grizzly 550. The newest bear incorporates most of the advanced riding technology features of Yamaha’s biggest and most powerful ATV, the Grizzly 700, but is powered by a compact 558cc four-stroke single engine.
This advanced powerplant is built to deliver an ideal combination of low running costs and hightraction torque through the rev range to help the new Grizzly 550 appeal to a wide cross-section of ATV users.
The four-valve engine features a new crankshaft that’s been reprofiled for even smoother running, a new cylinder head with a long-reach spark plug for easy starting, and EFI fuel injection for better emissions and lower fuel consumption.
Yamaha’s three-position push-button On Command drive system offers a choice of 2WD, 4WD, or 4WD with differential lock to keep Grizzly 550 going across the most difficult terrain. And fully automatic Ultramatic™ transmission makes forward motivation both simple and controllable.
Industry leading all-round double-wishbone independent suspension help all wheels stick to the deck to increase traction when the going gets tough, while all wheel disc brakes feature with shaft drive for ultimate user friendliness.
Yamaha’s variable-resistance Electronic Power Steering (EPS) takes the stress out of everyday tasks, no matter how much work a user packs into a Grizzly 550 day. And that’s a lot, thanks to the 20-litre underseat fuel tank and even better ergonomics including a redesigned seat, throttle control and transmission shift lever, plus new arm guards front and rear to optimise durability. A tough digital instrumentation pod provides a full rundown of speed, engine hours, fuel and transmission status, and a double trip meter.
Cargo racks front and rear join a big range of optional accessories including bulldozer blades, power winches, skid plates and brush guards to build on Grizzly 550’s already impressive functionality.
The new Grizzly is available in EPS, non-EPS and EPS Special Edition. The Special Edition variant is a real show-stopper in Red Midnight Armour and comes with cast aluminium wheels, water dipped body panels and special graphics, available from Nov 2008.
A dead ringer for its legendary big brother the Grizzly 700, just about the only thing that isn’t full-sized on the brand new Grizzly 550 is the price.
- The 500cc class has a new leader, with a fully featured package based on its best-selling bigger brother, the Grizzly 700 FI, with a new 558cc powerplant and excellent value.
- Electronic fuel injection means instantaneous cold starts and optimal performance in nearly any condition, from below sea level to 15,000 feet.
- Industry-exclusive, fully automatic Ultramatic® transmission is the most advanced drive system in ATV-ing. An automatic centrifugal clutch maintains constant belt tension for reduced belt wear and industry-exclusive all-wheel downhill engine braking.
- Industry-exclusive, three-position On-Command® In/Out RWD feature lets you switch between 2WD, limited-slip 4WD and fully locked differential 4WD-all with a simple push of a button.
- Fully independent long-travel four-wheel suspension features double-wishbone suspension front and rear for maximum control and comfort over rough terrain.
- Trick digital instrument panel boasts a multifunction LCD display with speedometer, odometer, dual tripmeter, hourmeter that counts hours that the engine is running, 4WD status, transmission position, clock and fuel gauge.
- This 558cc 4-stroke SOHC 4-valve liquid-cooled engine is derived directly from the industry-leading Grizzly 700 powerplant.
- Ceramic-composite cylinder liner provides outstanding durability and heat dissipation; 92mm forged piston is light and strong and rides on a carburized chrome-moly connecting rod.
- New cylinder head has been optimised for this 558cc engine to deliver excellent throttle response and low-end power, with needleroller rocker arms to reduce friction for fuel efficiency and torque.
- Gear-driven crankshaft balancer shaft and 4-position rubber engine mounts reduce vibration.
- Yamaha Fuel Injection uses a new Mikuni® 40mm throttle body and idle speed control valve to provide easy cold starts and flawless fuel delivery in nearly any condition, from below sea level to 15,000 feet.
- High-capacity aluminium radiator with newly designed fan motor delivers maximum cooling efficiency and is positioned high in the frame for optimal protection.
- 5-position shift lever with L, H, N, R and P gates has a light shifting feel with easy engagement, providing positive Ultramatic® transmission control.
- Electronic servo-activated 2WD/4WD/Diff Lock via the On- Command® system.
- Full-size chassis provides the same high level of comfort enjoyed by Grizzly 700 riders.
- New front and rear lower A-arm guards offer excellent protection – and Grizzly 550 features WideArc front A-arms for outstanding ground clearance that’s 127mm wider than that provided by ordinary designs.
- New CV boots are made of tough polyethylene for more durability than typical rubber boots.
- 4-wheel hydraulic disc brakes serve up consistent, long-lasting braking power under all sorts of nasty conditions.
- Direct driveshaft design efficiently transfers power while providing outstanding durability with less vibration.
- Dual 35-watt multi-reflector halogen bulb headlights with high/low beams light up the night.
- Trick digital instrument panel boasts a multifunction LCD display with speedometer, odometer, dual tripmeter, hourmeter that counts hours that the engine is running, 4WD status, transmission position, clock and fuel gauge
For any rider making the move from a 125, the twin-cylinder CB500X, part of a new family of motorcyc...
With crisp styling in line with Honda's racing lineage, the 2014 CRF450R and CRF250R's bodywork main...
The new Honda XR150L will replace the XR125L, and takes its best features with updates to create a p...