Subaru Forester Fifth Generation
The fifth generation of Subaru’s best-selling model, the Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive (AWD) Forester Sports Utility Vehicle (SUV), has been unveiled at New York International Auto Show.
Forester will debut with a long list of new features, including the Driver Monitoring System (DMS) – Subaru’s first-ever driver recognition technology.
DMS will deliver a safer and more comfortable driving experience than ever before, underlining Subaru’s top-of-class safety credentials.
It will also be the roomiest, most capable and most versatile Forester ever made.
Forester launches on the Subaru Global Platform (SGP) – which has already won accolades in Impreza and XV – and enhances comfort and safety even further.
Every Forester will be powered by the newly-enhanced direct-injection 2.5-litre horizontally opposed, normally aspirated, four-cylinder Boxer engine.
With around 90% new components, the engine offers the perfect balance of excellent driving and environmental performance.
Symmetrical AWD and enhanced X-Mode provide outstanding driving, combined with the off-road drivability expected of an SUV.
Reverse Automatic Braking helps to avoid collisions when reversing and reduces damage in collisions.
Forester will also offer its roomiest cabin to date, with innovative packaging enhancing comfort and practicality.
The new model features packaging that allows all occupants to share comfort and enjoyment, balancing easy handling with a spacious interior, and user-friendly features including, the DMS.
Australian Forester specifications will be announced in the second half of 2018, with vehicles expected in showrooms around September.
New Forester is a key part of Subaru Corporation’s global strategy.
In line with Subaru’s “Dynamic x Solid,” design philosophy, the new design combines the hardiness of an SUV with user-friendly comfort and convenience.
The SGP is expected to achieve class-topping collision safety and hazard avoidance, along with handling that responds exactly as the driver intends, plus comfortable drivability.
Other core technologies include the latest generation of the award-winning EyeSight driver- assist system.
MAIN FEATURES OF THE NEW FORESTER (US SPECIFICATION)
INTERIOR AND EXTERIOR
COMFORTABLE AND FUNCTIONAL PACKAGING FOR EASE OF USE AND ENJOYMENT FOR ALL PASSENGERS
- Wider rear door openings and a steep C-pillar angle make entry, exit and installing a child seat easier.
- All Foresters feature lower body side cladding, which helps protect against mud, rocks and other road debris, especially on tracks and trails.
- The new Forester design maintains outstanding driver visibility, a hallmark of Subaru models.
- Strategically designed pillars and generous glass area ensure an excellent all-round view from inside, and all models feature a standard rear vision camera.
THE PERFECT SIZE FOR EASY HANDLING
- Although the wheelbase is increased for a more comfortable cabin than ever, the minimum turning radius is just 5.4 metres, ensuring ease of handling.
EXCELLENT COMFORT, SEAT ACCESSIBILITY, AND LOADING CONVENIENCE
- Enhanced cabin comfort, with more space between passengers and more leg room in the back seats.
- Optimized rear door opening angle, opening area, and C-pillar shape, improves back seat accessibility.
- A maximum cargo area opening width of 1,300 millimetres (mm) – larger than average for a mid-sized SUV – and square cargo storage space, provide a dramatic increase in loading capacity.
- A drive unit for powered rear cargo door is integrated with the “stay”, creating more cargo storage space. It also provides faster opening and closing. A new locking system, incorporated for the first time in a Subaru vehicle, automatically closes the rear gate and locks the vehicle with just a touch of a button.
CONVENIENT FEATURES FOR COMFORT IN MOTION
- Three separated pockets in the seat backs provide convenient storage for magazines, tablets, smartphones, etc.
- USB charger ports provided for both front and back seat passengers.
- A new air-conditioning Human Machine Interface (HMI) incorporated for the first time in Subaru vehicles, allows exact adjustment of temperature controls, for in-cabin comfort according to the number of passengers.
- Debut of the Driver Monitoring System, which can alert the driver to signs of drowsiness or distraction on the road, as well as automatically adjusting driver settings for seat position, door mirror angles, and air-conditioning preferences.
- 8-inch screen navigation and latest infotainment system.
- Improved connectivity compatible with Apple CarPlayTM and Android AutoTM
- In addition to the functional and user-friendly cabin layout, the instrument panel and console are combined for a more relaxed feeling of freedom, in addition to the hardiness demanded of an SUV.
- SUV toughness and dynamism, allied with generous storage space and intuitive functionality that can be understood at a glance.
- Accent colors, high gloss black, and exclusive alloy wheels highlight the new model’s SUV robustness and sleek strength.
SUV TOUGHNESS AND DRIVING ENJOYMENT
- Featuring Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive, the new 2.5-litre four-cylinder horizontally opposed direct injection normally aspirated engine, X-Mode for easier handling in poor driving conditions and the Subaru Global Platform; new Forester ensures a comfortable and enjoyable ride for the driver and all passengers.
POWERFUL AND COMFORTABLE DYNAMISM
- The new model incorporates a newly developed 2.5-litre four-cylinder horizontally opposed direct injection normally aspirated engine. It features around 90% new components compared with the previous 2.5-litre engine. The newly introduced direct injection improves power and torque, while also boosting environmental performance, through improved fuel efficiency – offering a powerful and enjoyable driving experience.
- Enhanced driving enjoyment through new seven-speed manual mode Lineartronic Continuously Variable Transmission.
- SI-Drive control is optimized, and in some models, Sports mode allows the driver to enjoy faster acceleration and direct-feel transmission shift.
ACTIVE ALL-TERRAIN TOUGHNESS
- Forester incorporates Subaru’s exclusive Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive system, providing stable driving performance on all surfaces, from snow and mud to wet roads and highways.
- Optimization of X-Mode, which controls engine, transmission, and brakes on slippery surfaces and – in poor driving conditions – improves drivability in off-road conditions and on poor surfaces. In some models, a dial allows easy switching between two modes, depending on road conditions – improving driver confidence and peace of mind.
- Minimum ground clearance is 220 mm, along with the widest possible approach and departure angles, and the ramp break-over angle. The new model offers excellent road clearance for a wider range of activities than ever before.
IMPROVED DYNAMIC FEEL
- The Subaru Global Platform brings significant improvements to dynamic quality, achieving superior driving capability that engages the emotional senses with smooth performance and pleasant drivability.
OVERALL SAFETY TOP IN ITS CLASS
- New Forester offers safe and enjoyable driving for all passengers – at all times and in all settings (not just in emergencies) – with safety features that place it at the top of its class, based on Subaru’s philosophy of overall safety.
OUTSTANDING VISIBILITY RECOGNIZABLE AT A GLANCE AS SOON AS YOU GET INTO THE CAR—PRIMARY SAFETY
- The excellent high eye-level view and careful optimization of the shape of the pillars has reduced blind spots and provides outstanding visibility.
- Optimization of the seat shape and cushion materials helps to reduce driver fatigue.
DRIVING PERFORMANCE YOU CAN DEPEND ON IN THE UNLIKELY EVENT OF AN INCIDENT—ACTIVE SAFETY
- Active Torque Vectoring ensures the driver is controlling the vehicle exactly as intended.
COMPREHENSIVE ADVANCED SAFETY SYSTEMS—PREVENTIVE SAFETY
- Subaru’s exclusive EyeSight driver assist system comes standard in all models.
- Reverse Automatic Braking helps to avoid collisions when reversing and reduces the damage in case of collision.
- Subaru Rear Vehicle Detection system detects vehicles approaching from the rear.
- Steering Responsive Headlights provide clear night-time vision.
- High-beam assist improves visibility when driving at night.
- Subaru’s first-ever Driver Monitoring System enhances safe driving by providing a warning when it detects signs of distraction or drowsiness at the wheel.
CLASS-LEADING PROTECTION OF EVERY PASSENGER—COLLISION SAFETY
- The Subaru Global Platform ensures class-leading passenger protection.
- An increase in the amount of high-tensile steel panel materials ensures improved collision safety and a lighter body.
- A total of seven airbags (SRS airbags in the driver’s seat and front passenger seat, SRS knee airbag in the driver’s seat, SRS side airbags, and SRS side curtain airbags) come as standard in all models, providing class-leading levels of passenger protection.
MAIN FEATURES OF THE NEW FORESTER (US SPEC)
(Length x width x height)
|4,625 × 1,815 × 1,730*1 mm
|Minimum ground clearance
||FA25 2.5-liter horizontally opposed four-cylinder DOHC 16 valve AVCS direct injection engine
|Bore x stroke
||94 × 90 mm
||136 Kilowatts / 5,800 rpm
||239 Newtonmetres / 4,400 rpm
|Fuel tank capacity
||Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive
||225/60 R17, 225/55 R18
*1 Height not including roof rail: 1,715 mm
*2 Lineartronic: Fully electronically controlled automatic continuously variable transmission