The interior of the INEOS Grenadier is designed on purpose, to deliver the space, practicality and versatility owners need from a hard-working 4X4. Starting from a clean sheet, the design incorporates the modern technology and comfort expected of a vehicle for the 2020s and beyond.
• Innovative design proves that a capable body-on-frame 4X4 can still deliver on modern comfort and refinement
• As with the exterior design, the focus is on practicality and utility – from switches and dials, to stowage and customisation options
• Interior is built to endure, with hard-wearing materials and integrated tech that will stand the test of time
“When we started thinking about the Grenadier’s interior, we looked carefully at modern aircraft, boats and even tractors for inspiration, where switches are sited for optimal function, regular controls are close to hand, auxiliary ones are further away,” said Toby Ecuyer, Head of Design. “You can see the same approach in the Grenadier: the layout is functional and logical, designed with ease of use in mind. It has everything you need and nothing you don’t.”
Toggle switches and dials on the centre and overhead consoles are widely spaced and clearly labelled. Auxiliary switches have been built in, pre-wired to support the addition of winches, work lights and other accessories.
Advanced technology is included only where it benefits functionality and usability. The infotainment system is accessed via a 12.3-inch touchscreen, or by using a rotary dial. The Apple CarPlay and Android Auto integration means users can rely on smartphone navigation which will always be up to date. And the off-road pathfinder navigation system allows drivers to programme, follow and record their route via waypoints, when roads and tracks are left behind.
With hard-wearing surface materials throughout, the Grenadier is designed to endure. Drain plugs in the rubber flooring and wipe-down upholstery mean the interior can be hosed out. Water-resistant anti-stain Recaro seats provide ergonomic support and comfort on or off the road. Carpets and leather upholstery will be available for those aiming to leave the mud and sand outside.
Stowage space has been maximised, with a dry storage box under the rear seat, a lockable central console cubby box, and secure side-mounted storage in the rear load area. There is also scope for individualisation, with a wide range of interior options and accessories to help each owner customise the Grenadier to best perform its role.
Dirk Heilmann, INEOS Automotive’s CEO, said: “Inside and out, the Grenadier has been designed to do a job – to get people and their kit where they want to go in comfort, in control and with no fuss. It just works.”
130 second-phase Grenadier prototypes are currently half-way through their target of 1.8 million kilometres of gruelling testing around the world. Next stage: the dunes of Morocco.
Reservations will open from October 2021 and deliveries will start from July 2022.
KEY INTERIOR DESIGN FEATURES
Built on purpose, the Grenadier’s interior is innovative, practical and durable, with the technology and comfort today’s users expect.
- Practicality and versatility, but with modern tech and comfort
- Design is novel but also timeless: we’re not following trends or making a style statement
- Fun design touches inspired by sailing and cycling are a nod to INEOS’s passion for adventure and sport
Hardworking practicality: ready for anything work and life can throw at it
- Hose-out rubber floor with drain plugs; splash-proof, wipe-down switchgear and dash surfaces
- Hard-wearing, anti-pile, stain- and water-resistant seats don’t need extra protection
- Easy plug-and-play pre-wiring for exterior lighting, winches and other accessories
- Cargo bay has tie down hooks and the option of interior fixing rails for securing loads
- Large grab handles on the dash and on the A-pillar offer additional support on rough terrain
- Plentiful stowage options: dry storage box under rear seat; lockable central console cubby box; secure side-mounted storage in the cargo area; one-litre bottle holders in all doors
- Optional Power Pack provides a 2,000-watt AC convertor to power electric tools and equipment
- Retail version has five Recaro seats; commercial version has two- or five-seat layout
- Two-seat commercial version can take a Euro pallet
Intuitive and functional layout with physical switches
- Switches are widely spaced and clearly labelled, for easy use on the move and while wearing gloves
- Layout allows co-driver to operate auxiliary controls while driver focuses on the trail ahead
- Overhead console has controls for diff locks, auxiliary power circuits and power isolator
- 12.3-inch touchscreen displays digital instrument cluster and infotainment menus; all menus can be accessed via the touchscreen or the centre console rotary dial if hands are wet or covered in mud
- Apple CarPlay / Android Auto means navigation will always be up to date
- For real adventurers, pathfinder off-road navigation system allows drivers to programme, follow and record their route via waypoints where there are no road signs or tyre tracks in sight
- Multi-function tilt-/reach-/rake-adjustable steering wheel with 12 o’clock marker
- Optional glass roof panels can tilt, or be removed completely
Designed to endure for everyone
- Durable materials that will stand the test of time
- Recaro seats provide comfort and support on- and off-road; heated front seats and full leather upholstery available as options
- Designed to be as mechanical as possible, with around half the number of ECUs as comparable vehicles – for example, we have a physical key
- We wanted to increase reliability and offer a more analogue and honest driving experience
- Large scope for individualisation with a wide range of options and open-source accessories
- Retail version has ISOFIX / i-Size child seat anchors