Tiguan R – Volkswagen has released the Tiguan R model to stake a claim in the growing sports SUV segment.
Well priced from $68,990 MLP* plus the usual costs and options, the Tiguan R is sure to be a popular choice for performance oriented buyers, with the only other real price competitor being the Audi SQ2 at around $65,200 MLP*
Tiguan R engine and drivetrain
The Tiguan R adds a new layer of performance of the Tiguan model.
It is powered by the familiar (see Audi SQ2) 2.0L TSI petrol engine that produces 235kW of power and 400Nm of torque. It will run from 0-100kmh in 5.1 seconds driving all four wheels through a 7 speed DSG transmission and 4MOTION drive technology with R-Performance Torque Vectoring.
The Tiguan R features four engine sound settings. When using the Individual driving profile, drivers are able to select a new Pure engine sound.
The Pure engine sound ensures that no sound amplification through the speakers is used. This means that drivers only hear the pure sound from the Tiguan R quad exhaust system.
The Tiguan R builds on the R-Line model and includes:
- IQ.DRIVE: Travel Assist with Adaptive Lane Guidance, Front Assist with Pedestrian Monitoring, Lane Assist, Emergency Assist, Adaptive Cruise Control, Side Assist, Rear Cross Traffic Alert, Park Assist, Front and rear parking sensors, Driver Fatigue Detection and 360⁰ Proactive Occupant Protection
- IQ.LIGHT matrix LED headlights and premium LED tail lights with dynamic indicators
- 9.2” Discover Pro navigation system with gesture control and voice control
- Digital Cockpit Pro
- Adaptive Chassis Control
- Power folding mirrors with surround lighting and memory
- App-Connect including wired & wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
- Air Care 3-zone climate control with “Touch” front & rear controls
- Area view 360° camera system
- Easy open & close electric tailgate
- Heated and 12-way electric front seats with memory, massage and easy entry for the driver
- Ambient interior lighting with 30 selectable colours
- DAB+ Digital radio & AM/FM radio bands
- Head-up display projected on a glass panel
- Progressive steering
- Trailer hitch preperation
Tiguan R Unique Tiguan R specification includes:
- 235TSI engine and 4MOTION all-wheel drive with R-Performance Torque Vectoring
- R badges in front grill, side spears and rear tailgate
- R front and rear bumpers with glossy black accents
- 21” Estoril alloy wheels
- Blue brake calipers front and rear, front with R logo
- Sports brakes with 18” cross drilled discs in front and 17” discs in rear
- Quad chrome tail pipes
- Exterior mirror caps in matte silver
- Illuminated R scuff plates and R logo projected on the ground from front doors
- Nappa leather seats with decorative stitching in blue with R logo stitched in headrest*
- Gear lever boot and centre console armrest with decorative stitching in blue
- Carpet mats in front and rear with decorative stitching in Blue with “R” logo in front
- R sports steering wheel, heated, with touch controls, racing paddles, blue decorative stitching and R logo
- R logo in infotainment system and Digital Cockpit Pro
- Tyre pressure monitoring system shows actual tyre pressures
- Heated front washer nozzles
- Keys with R logo
- Tyre Mobility Set – 12V compressor and tyre sealent
*Leather appointed seats has a combination of genuine and artificial leather, but are not wholly leather
It’s been a while since we have test driven a Tiguan and will bring you’re a more detailed drive review soon.
*MLP Includes GST and LCT but excluding statutory charges, dealer costs and dealer delivery. See your dealer for RDAP. Does not include price of options. Some features mentioned in the article are options. RDAP means Recommended Drive Away Price (without options but including all other charges)