Volkswagen Australia’s best-selling model – the multi-award winning Tiguan SUV – has received a major update that enters showrooms from next month.
- Digital Cockpit Pro, IQ.DRIVE suite of technologies standard
- New exterior and interior design elements
- New model grades: Life, Elegance and R-Line
- 110, 132 and 162kW turbo petrol (TSI) engines, with 147kW turbo diesel (TDI) engine
With a range of equipment shared with the Mark 8 Golf, the 110TSI variants of the new Tiguan range are on sale from mid-March. The best-selling 162TSI and the new 147TDI variants arrive in late May followed in June by the 132TSI.
Adopting the latest Volkswagen design language, the new Tiguan comes in three distinct model grades: Life; Elegance; and the fully-loaded sport-themed R-Line.
The Life grade can be configured as either a 1.4-litre 110kW/250Nm with front-wheel drive and six- speed DSG transmission; or as a 132TSI 4MOTION all-wheel drive with a seven-speed DSG good for 132kW/320Nm. In the Elegance and R-Line models, customers can choose from the 162kW/350Nm petrol variant or the 147kW/400Nm diesel, both versions with seven-speed DSG and 4MOTION.
“With the introduction of new technology from the new Mark 8 Golf, the 2021 Tiguan is not a mere mid-life upgrade,” Volkswagen Group Australia Managing Director Michael Bartsch said. “Increasingly Tiguan is the model with which Volkswagen is becoming synonymous.”
Tech highlights include standard Digital Cockpit Pro, Touch climate controls and IQ.DRIVE with a new haptic touch steering wheel.
IQ.DRIVE: Travel Assist with new steering wheel
Replacing Traffic Jam Assist, Travel Assist allows for partially automated driving across practically the whole speed range; from slow moving stop-and-go traffic to highway speeds. With the press of the Travel Assist button on the steering wheel, the system activates adaptive lane guidance and uses adaptive cruise control to allow semi-autonomous driving on highways. On R-Line models, the conventional buttons have been replaced with ‘touch’ buttons which give haptic feedback with a small vibration when a selection is made. The buttons are also touch force sensitive. For example, a slight touch will advance the cruise control speed by 1 km increments, while a firm touch will advance the speed by 10km increments.
IQ Light: Matrix LED Headlights
The Tiguan features IQ. Lights with Matrix LED headlights on Elegance & R-Line models. Thanks to matrix technology, the dipped beam and main beam is formed with individually controllable LEDs. The beam pattern is individually adapted to each driving situation to ensure maximum, high precision and dazzle- fee illumination of the road. It allows the high beam to remain on, making night time driving safer and more convenient than ever before.
Instead of fog lights, the new Tiguan has an all-weather light function which distributes the light in a special way to illuminate the road better in generally poor weather conditions like rain, fog and snowfall. The static cornering lights are switched on simultaneously with the main beam in both headlights to provide a better view of the road ahead.
Digital Cockpit Pro
Now standard across the range is the 10.25″ Digital Cockpit Pro, which literally puts customisation in the driver’s hands. Using the multifunction steering wheel, customers can simply configure the high- resolution display. The Digital Cockpit Pro allows customization of the high definition display to suit personal tastes. Beside the digital screen are gauges for fuel levels and engine temperature, giving the driver a necessary snapshot of the vehicle’s status.
Touch Climate Controls
The Tiguan now comes standard with touch climate controls on the centre console. The touch sensitive surface allows the user to control the fan speed and temperature controls simply by sliding their finger or with a slight push. The bars are indented so it is easy to make changes without having to take your eyes off the road. Haptic feedback in the form of a gentle vibration confirms every input and gives the sensation of using classic buttons.
Proactive Occupant Protection
Available for the first time on the Tiguan and now standard across the range is Proactive Occupant Protection. The proactive occupant protection system protects you within the limits of the system in critical situations such as imminent collisions. It can detect situations in which there is an increased risk of an accident. The system then automatically closes the windows and (if fitted) the panoramic sliding sunroof, and tightens the front seat belts as a precautionary measure.
Model Grades and Standard Equipment:
The Life grade comes with the choice of a FWD 110TSI engine or 132TSI with 4MOTION. Highlights include:
- IQ. Drive: Travel Assist, Front Assist with Pedestrian Monitoring, Lane Assist with Adaptive Lane Guidance, Emergency Assist, Adaptive Cruise Control, Side Assist, Rear Cross Traffic Assist, Park Assist, Front and rear parking sensors, Driver Fatigue Detection and 360° Proactive Occupant Protection
- Rear View Camera
- LED Headlights with High Beam Assist, LED fog lights & tail lights
- 18″ Nizza alloy wheels with space saving spare
- 8″ Discover Media navigation system with voice and gesture control
- Digital Cockpit Pro
- App-Connect including wired & wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
- Easy Open & Close electric tailgate
- 3-zone climate “Touch” control with controls in the rear
- Automatic lights and wipers
- Electric folding mirrors, heated
The Elegance grade comes with a choice of either the 162TSI or 147TDI engines, both with 4MOTION. Additional spec over the Life grade includes:
- Vienna leather appointed trim
- Electric front seats with electric lumbar support, easy entry and memory
- Heated front seats
- Heated steering wheel
- 19″ Auckland alloy wheels with space saver spare
- Adaptive Chassis Control
- IQ. Light matrix LED headlights and Premium LED tail lights with dynamic indicators
- 9.2″ Discover Pro navigation system with voice and gesture control
- Tinted rear windows
- 30 colour ambient interior lighting
- Additional chrome and silver styling elements
The R-Line grade comes with the 162TSI or 147TDI engines, both with 4MOTION. Additional spec over the Elegance grade:
- 20″ Misano alloy wheels
- R-Line steering wheel with “Touch” haptic feedback buttons
- R-Line Vienna leather appointed upholstery
- R-Line front and rear bumpers
- R-Line side sills
- R-Line rear spoiler
- R-Line badges on front grill and side spears
- Stainless steel foot pedals
- Black headliner
- Progressive steering
- Automatic electric tailgate*
*Easy Open & Close function is not available on R-Line models
Options and Packages:
For those customers wanting to customize their new Tiguan further, a range of options and optional packages are available for each model grade. Along with stand-alone options of metallic/pearlescent paint and a panoramic glass sunroof (Elegance and R-Line grades only), the new Tiguan can also be enhanced with the following optional packages:
Optional Luxury Package (Life model grade)
- Vienna leather appointed upholstery
- Heated steering wheel
- Electrically adjustable driver seat with memory function, heated front seats
- Panoramic electric glass sunroof
Optional Sound and Vision Package (Elegance and R-Line model grades)
- Head-up display
- Area View
- Harman Kardon premium sound system
As with all Volkswagens, the new Tiguan range comes standard with a five-year, unlimited kilometre warranty, capped-price servicing every calendar year with the option to pre-purchase three and five- year Care Plans. Also available is the Volkswagen Choice guaranteed future value program, offered by Volkswagen Financial Services.
New Tiguan Pricing
|Tiguan 110TSI Life 6-speed DSG||$39,690|
|Tiguan 132TSI Life 7-speed DSG||$43,690|
|Tiguan 162TSI Elegance 7-speed DSG||$50,790|
|Tiguan 147TDI Elegance 7-speed DSG||$52,290|
|Tiguan 162TSI R-Line 7-speed DSG||$53,790|
|Tiguan 147TDI R-Line 7-speed DSG||$55,290|
|Panoramic Glass Sunroof (Elegance/R-Line)||$2,000|
|Luxury Package (Life)||$5,000|
|Sound and Vision Package (Elegance/R-Line)||$2,500|
Volkswagen Care Plan